Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
City of Maize "Where Community Counts"


  • Hanna Vestering
    Court Clerk

    p. 316.722.8736
    f. 316.425.3380

    10100 W Grady Ave.
    P.O. Box 245
    Maize, KS 67101

Municipal Court

Frequently Asked Questions

I moved or the address on my citation is wrong.

Address Change

All notices to appear will be sent to the last known address.  If you have an open case, keeping your address current with the court is essential! If a notice to appear cannot be delivered by the Post Office because you have not kept your address current, a warrant may be issued.

You may change your address in person or by contacting the court.


I don't want this ticket on my driving record.

Amended Speeding Tickets

If you received a speeding citation and are interested in keeping it off your driving record you may be eligible for our Speeding Amendment program.  You must appear in person on your court date to visit with the City Prosecutor to see if an amendment is possible in your case.

If an amendment is granted, the fine portion of the ticket doubles the court costs remain the same.  The money is due during but time to pay arrangements can be made.

Speeding over 21 MPH is not eligible.  

What cases are handled by Maize Municipal Court.

Cases Handled by Maize Municipal Court

Maize Municipal Court handles the full range of cases which are within municipal court jurisdiction, including:

  • Drug and Alcohol violations
  • Worthless Check offenses
  • DUI's
  • Routine local traffic citations
  • Animal Control violations
  • Parking violations
  • Nuisance and other property violations
  • Local Ordinance Offenses (fireworks, noise and curfew violations, etc.)
  • Miscellaneous misdemeanor level offenses (assault, battery, trespassing, theft, etc.)

What's going on with my case?

Check Case Status

If you have questions about the status of your case please contact the court.

If you suspect that your case is on warrant, you may wish to ask the court clerk how to resolve the warrant as painlessly as possible. For more information, see our information on warrants.

I'm supposed to go to court, what will happen?

Court Procedures: What happens in Court?

If you are thinking about representing yourself on a Maize Municipal Court Case, you may benefit from becoming familiar with the court system. Many resources are available online, in public libraries and/or bookstores.

Dress Code and Rules of the Courtroom

  • Appropriate clothing and shoes will be worn.
  • Wearing hats or caps is not allowed in the courtroom.
  • No food is allowed; drinks may be permitted if they have lids. (NO ALCOHOL)
  • No Smoking in the courtroom, there is a smoking section outside the building.
  • Cell phones must be turned off or on silent. If you need to make a call, please go outside to place your call / have your conversation.

Right to an Attorney

In all Municipal Court cases you have the right to an attorney. If you do not have the means to hire one, the Court may appoint an attorney to represent you. Court Appointed Attorneys are granted only in cases where jail time is possible. If you would like to request a Court Appointed Attorney, please ask the Judge on your court date.


At your arraignment you will come before the judge and be informed of the charges against you. You will also be informed of the possible punishment associated with the charges against you.

Pleading to a Charge

(The following information should not be in any way construed as legal advice, but should be regarded as simple guidance. Any specific questions should be directed to the legal representative of your choosing.)

You must decide upon, and enter a plea to the charge against you. The three possible pleas are; no contest, guilty, not guilty.

We suggest that you read the following explanations before entering your plea.

  • No Contest
    A no contest plea simply means that you do not wish to contest the City's charge against you and allows the judge to find you guilty. A plea of no contest cannot be used against you as an admission of guilt in a civil suit for damages.
  • Guilty
    By a plea of guilty, you admit that you committed the act charged. Before entering you plea of guilty, you need to understand the following:

You have the right to hear the City's evidence and to require the City to prove its case. The law does not require you to prove anything.

Your plea of guilty could be used later in a civil suit for damages as an admission by you that you were at fault.

A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the court that you deny guilt and that the city must prove its charges against you. If you plead not guilty, you will need to decide whether to employ on attorney to represent you at trial. You may defend yourself. If you are a minor (under 18 years of age) one of your parents should be present.


If you decide to defend yourself, please read the following regarding trial procedure and the manner of presenting your case. Under our American system of justice, all persons are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. On a plea of not guilty, a trial is held and the city is required to prove all allegations against you as contained in the formal complaint beyond a reasonable doubt before a verdict of guilty can be reached.

Maize Municipal Court trials are all bench trials, meaning the trial is before the Judge only, no jury trials. You are entitled to hear any and all evidence introduced against you. You have the right to testify on your own behalf, as well as a constitutional right not to testify. If you choose to testify, the prosecutor will have the right to cross -examine you.

You may call witnesses to testify on your behalf. You also have the right to have the court issue subpoenas for witnesses to make certain their appearance at trial. You must furnish the court the names, addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses to the court as soon as possible and at least 15 business days before your trial date.

Presenting the Case

The city will present its case first by calling witnesses to testify against you. After each prosecutor's witness has finished, you will have the right to cross-examine him. Your examinations must be in the form of questions and you must not argue with the witness.

After the prosecution is done presenting their case, you may present your case. You have the right to call any witnesses who know anything about the incident, and to introduce exhibits such as photographs and diagrams.

The Verdict

The verdict of the judge will be based on the facts presented during trial. In making his determination he/she can only consider what testimony and evidence was provided during the trial, under oath. If you are found guilty by the judge, he/she will proceed towards sentencing.


The sentence assessed by the court is affected by the facts and circumstances of the case. Mitigating circumstances may lower the fine. However, aggravating circumstances may increase the fine. If you have circumstances for the judge to consider, you may present them after conviction and before sentencing. A jail sentence may also be a part of sentencing. If jail is a possibility, you will be informed during you initial court appearance.

Right to Appeal

If you are not satisfied with the judgment of the court, you have the right to appeal your case to the Sedgwick County District Court. The case will be tried again before a District Court Judge and, upon request, before a jury.

Immediately upon conviction, you should advise the Municipal Court Judge of your intent to appeal. An appeal bond will be noted on your paperwork. You must file the appeal within ten (10) days of the Municipal Court conviction. Saturdays and Sundays are included unless the 10th day falls on Saturday, Sunday, or a Holiday. Take the copy you were given in Municipal Court to the Court Clerk's Office, Room 714, Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main. There is a filing fee of $62.50 which must be paid to the District Court and a $10.00 appeal fee will be added to your Municipal Court case. If the case is dismissed in District Court, you will not be required to pay the Municipal Court fine and costs, or the $10.00 appeal fee.

If you intend to appeal, do not pay the fines and costs assessed. You will be give 10 days to appeal. If you decide not to appeal your case, you must pay the fine and costs within the 10 days or make payment arrangements.

Time to Pay

If you are unable to pay your fines/costs at time of sentencing, you may be granted time to pay by the judge. You will be given a new court date. You must pay your fines/costs in full by that court date or appear in court to explain to the judge why it has not been paid in full. If you do not have your fines/costs paid in full and do not appear at your court date a warrant may be issued and/or your driver's license may be suspended with no future notice.

How do I pay?

Payment Information

We gladly accept cash, money orders and checks. Credit and or debit cards (Visa & Mastercard) are available online for non-appearance required charges such as speeding. A small handling fee is associated with online payments.

Persons with worthless check cases must pay with cash or money orders.

Cases regarding driver's license suspensions issued by The City of Maize must be paid in full before the license reinstatement is submitted.

I need to change my court date.

Rescheduling/Continuing an Appearance

Continuances can be granted one time on initial appearances for up to 1 month.

All other continuances may only be granted in the event of a true documented emergency and must be reviewed by the judge. Valid emergencies include death of an immediate family member or personal hospitalization.

Contact the court to obtain a continuance.


I think I may have a warrant.


We cannot make online promises not to arrest a person with an outstanding warrant.

If you suspect that you have a warrant for your arrest, there are options available to resolve the problem. Warrants for minor traffic infractions and time to pay issues can often be cancelled upon payment in full. Other cases require an appearance before the judge.  Warrants on these cases can be resolved by a voluntary appearance when court is in session. By appearing voluntarily, people are able to avoid being arrested at an inconvenient and embarrassing time. Commonly, appearing voluntarily allows people to avoid spending nights in jail, avoid the need to post bond, and allows for same-day resolution and release from the jail. If you appear voluntarily to resolve your warrant you must give prior notice and contact the court.

Each case has its own unique circumstances and warrants are handled according to the judge's discretion. No generic assurances can be given and we cannot make general promises not to arrest anyone with an outstanding warrants.

To find out if you have an outstanding warrant, or to ask about resolving your individual warrant, please contact the court.

Diversion Information

Diversion application

What is a Diversion? Diversions are a second-chance opportunity offered by the Prosecutor, which prevent convictions from going onto the criminal record. Diversions are an agreement with the prosecutor and, if the defendant complies with the terms of the agreement, the charges are dismissed.

How does Diversion work? Diversions last for 12 months and involve various requirements. Standard requirements include:

  • Attend an initial meeting with the Diversion Coordinator.
  • Pay a $150 diversion application fee to Diversion Coordinator.
  • Monthly meetings with Diversion Officer
  • Do NOT break the law during the diversion term.

In addition, each diversion agreement contains requirements specific to the charges involved. Common examples include:

  • No drugs/alcohol (on charges of DUI, Minor w/ Alcohol, Marijuana...).
  • Attend anger management class (on charges of domestic battery).
  • Attend shoplifters education class (on charges of theft).
  • Pay restitution.

Diversion Eligibility: Diversions are generally not available on a second offence of the same or similar crime. Granting a diversion is at the sole discretion of the prosecutor, and various considerations apply.

How to Apply: You will need to speak to the prosecutor to see if you are eligible for a Diversion. If you are eligible for a Diversion then the prosecutor will explain the process. Your case will be rescheduled to provide time to meet with the Diversion Coordinator for pre-diversion interview.

Contacting the Court

Questions concerning the Municipal Court should be directed to the court clerk, 316-722-8736. Fax: 316-425-3380.

City of Maize
Through the integration of its population into every aspect of quality education, civic improvements, community appearance, commerce and recreation, Maize shall preserve its small town atmosphere and become the best small city in Kansas.

"Where Community Counts"