Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
City of Maize "Where Community Counts"
Animal Control - Photo of Dogs


  • Chief of Police Jeff Weible

    Jeff Weible
    Chief of Police

    p. (316) 722-1433
    EMERGENCY 9-1-1
    If calling from outside Sedgwick County: 316.263.6011

    Jail:  316.660.5245

    10100 W Grady Ave.
    P.O. Box 245
    Maize, KS 67101

Animal Control

Maize Animal Control Regulations are enforced by the Maize Police Department.  All owners of dogs and cats the age of six months or older must have them vaccinated against rabies. In addition, dog owners are required to obtain an annual dog license.

The city dog license must be purchased at City Hall, 10100 Grady Ave, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with proof of rabies vaccination from a certified veterinarian.

Below is a summary of the most common inquiries that we receive regarding animal regulations in the City of Maize.  View the city's Animal Control Ordinance  for complete details of all regulations concerning owning, keeping and harboring of animals in Maize.

License fees for each dog:

The standard license fee is $35.00 per dog, however the following discounts apply as follows:

  • $10.00 discount if the owner furnishes a certificate showing that the animal has been micro-chipped.
  • $5.00 discount if the owner furnishes a certificate showing that the animal has been spayed or neutered.
  • $10.00 discount if the owner testifies that the animal is confined in a fenced yard or fenced run.

All licenses expire one year from the date the license is issued. A late fee of $1 shall be assessed for each month beginning 30 days after the expiration of any previous annual registration for failure to renew. Any dog not licensed with the City within a period of 60 days after the licenses has expired may be cited for failure to license a dog. Any person who keeps, harbors or owns an unlicensed dog may be cited for keeping an unlicensed dog.

NOTE: Maize allows a maximum of two dogs and a maximum of three cats upon any premises. Any person desiring to own more than the stated maximums must apply for an Animal Maintenance Permit at City Hall.

Dog Control

The owner of any dog shall cause the same to wear a collar or harness while such animal is outside the dwelling of the owner. The city registration tag shall be securely affixed to the collar. The tag shall be situated on the collar or harness in such a manner that it may at all times be easily visible to law enforcement officers or animal control officers of the City.   When so requested, replacement tags shall be issued for $1 each, upon presentation of the receipt.

All dogs must be confined to the residential property of the owner of the dog; provided, dogs may be taken off the residential property of the owner when the dog is on a leash no longer than 10 feet in length and under the control of a responsible person.

Found Pets and Animal Pickups

Domestic animals other than horses and livestock picked up by the Maize Police Department are taken to the Wichita Animal Shelter located at 3303 N. Hillside in Wichita.  To view a log of animals that have been turned over to the Wichita Animal Shelter please visit

Fines for Leash Law Violation:

If your dog is picked up while running loose, you will be issued a summons in accordance with the following fine schedule:

  • 1st offense, within 12 mos. - $50.00
  • 2nd offense, within 12 mos. -$100.00
  • 3rd offense, within 12 mos. -$200.00/court appearance

Dog Bite:

  • 1st offense, within 12 mos. - $150.00/court appearance
  • 2nd offense, within 12 mos. -$250.00/court appearance
  • 3rd offense, within 12 mos. -$500.00/court appearance

Other Fines:

  • Failure to obtain license - $50.00
  • Failure to vaccinate for rabies -$35.00
  • Not displaying ID tags - $35.00 

Barking Dogs

It is unlawful for the owner of any dog to permit such dog, by loud and persistent or habitual barking, howling or yelping, to disturb any person or neighborhood.

A citation for barking dogs may be issued upon receiving two complaints within two weeks for excessive barking by the same dog from at least two separate and independent complainants, or upon receiving one complaint and the excessive barking is personally observed by an animal control or law enforcement officer.

Prohibited Animals:


It is unlawful to own, keep or harbor a dog identified as a Pit Bull; EXCEPT, a Pit Bull may be allowed within the City, after approval by the Chief of Police, if the dog is certified as a service dog that is trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities recognized by the Americans with Disabilities Act and if verifiable certification declaring the dog as a service animal is provided in writing at the time the dog is registered with the City.

Unlawful Keeping of Certain Animals

It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor, own or in any way possess within the corporate limits of the City:

(a) on premises of less than one (1) acre of contiguous land area: any horse, donkey, mule or other equine; sheep; goat; swine; cow, ox or other bovine; or large ratite;

(b) not more than one of the animals listed at Section 2-301(a) may be kept, harbored, owned or in any way possessed on premises that are between one acre of contiguous gross land area and less than two (2) acres of contiguous land area;

(c) one (1) additional animal per acre, above the number allowed in Section 2-301(a)(1) of the animals listed at Section 2-301(a), may be kept, harbored, owned or possessed on premises that consist of contiguous land area that is two (2) acres or larger; i.e., two of the above-listed animals on two acres or more, three on three acres or more, four on four acres or more, etc.

(d) Roosters (male chickens), guinea cocks, peacocks or other birds that by nature exhibit loud calls;

(e) More than two (2) rabbits or more than three (3) fowl on any one (1) premises;

(f) Any warm-blooded, carnivorous or omnivorous, wild or exotic animal (including but not limited to non-human primates such as apes, chimpanzees, gibbons, gorillas, orangutans, siamangs, and baboons, as well as bears, bison, bobcats, cheetahs, crocodilians, constrictor snakes, coyotes, deer, white-tailed deer, elk, antelope, moose, elephants, game cocks or other fighting birds, hippopotami, hyenas, jaguars, leopards, lions, lynxes, monkeys, ostriches, pumas, cougars, mountain lions, panthers, raccoons rhinoceroses, skunks, tigers, foxes and wolves; but excluding ferrets and small rodents of varieties used for laboratory purposes);

(g) Any mammal, amphibian, fish, reptile or fowl which is of a species which, due to size, vicious nature or other characteristics would constitute a danger to human life, physical well-being, or property, including but not limited to snakes which are venomous or otherwise present a risk of serious physical harm or death to human beings as a result of their nature or physical makeup including, but not limited to, boa constrictors, Madagascar ground boas, green and yellow anacondas, Cuban boas, Indian pythons, reticulated pythons, African rock pythons, Amethystine pythons, Boelens pythons and all members of the family pythonidae that exceed 6 feet in length;

Dangerous Animal Permit Application

City of Maize
Through the integration of its population into every aspect of quality education, civic improvements, community appearance, commerce and recreation, Maize shall preserve its small town atmosphere and become the best small city in Kansas.

"Where Community Counts"